Friday, September 7, 2012

Interview with Joseph Chinnock on Travelling in Nepal


When did you first get interested in Nepal?

I travelled to Nepal the summer after my college freshman year intending to trek to Everest Base Camp the long route. I contracted dysentery and altitude sickness on the trek and ended up losing fifty pounds (this was when I weighed 155) and literally crawling back to Kathmandu. I took a meditation class at Kopan Monastery and they asked me to stay the two weeks until my flight left and recuperate. That was my introduction to Nepal and Buddhism as well as the spectacular scenery of the Himalayas and the kindness of the Nepali people.

Why do you think it benefits Americans to travel in the Himalayas?

If you like the Rockies than you will love the Himalayas. Sometimes living in Boulder I still look twice as high and then realize the mountains here go to 14,000 rather than 28,000 feet. The culture of Nepal is so warm, inviting, considerate, old, and rich with traditions, it really makes every day feel like a party even though it is a poor country.

India, Bhutan, and Pakistan also have amazing treks and climbs through the Himalayas. If you’re new to the area than the Annapurna trek is amazing, can be done in ten to fourteen days, and will show you a panorama of the Himalayas that is breath-taking.

What is your favorite aspect of taking Westerners to the Himalayas?

Seeing them enjoy the culture. Nepalis are incredibly friendly and open and I have never seen anyone go away without having the time of their lives. For example, in Nepal you are supposed to bargain for everything including vegetables at the market. I was a lousy negotiator, so the women selling vegetables used to pick out the best ones and give me a discount because they knew I couldn’t do it myself.

What is the hardest part about travelling in Nepal?

The poverty at times can be rough to see. On the other hand you often are in a situation where a small contribution in attention, talent, or money can have a huge impact. For example you can sponsor a kid to go to school for about a hundred dollars a month and that will transform the child’s life.

With all the poverty and hardship in that area of the world, what do
you think Westerners can do to help the Nepali people?

Go and experience it. Connect with them and you will have plenty of opportunities arise to serve just as you will receive a lot of love and friendship in return.

What is the most inspiring experience you've had in Nepal?

There were so many. Being invited to be my friend’s best man at his wedding featuring elephants and a saxophone player, having people on the Mustang Trek give us shelter in their tiny home when a freak snowstorm hit, or just sitting with friends and talking, drinking tea while their kids play. All lovely times.

Want more info?  Contact Joseph at jcboulder@gmail.com















No comments:

Post a Comment